



Our Church Plants
The names of Berries Bank, Long Lane and Ashmore Green were as familiar to church members as CAP or Street Pastors are to today’s generation.
Yet their stories are rapidly being forgotten as their closures fade into distant memory.
Six churches were planted in total, with the first four opening in quick succession between 1823-38. These chapels were not planted as independent bodies, but under the umbrella of Newbury Baptist Church, which supplied lay preachers, superintendents, and occasionally called ministers to specifically serve the villages.
When looking back it is startling to see the parallels between the origins of the churches in the villages and NBC’s own fledgling congregation. Often meeting in the homes of local people, with little money or resources. Yet by God’s good grace, provision was made with land often given free of charge to help establish chapels and advance the gospel.
In the 19th century these chapels provided vital opportunities for people to worship in their own communities, freed from taking long journeys, often on foot, along muddy paths to the likes of Newbury. The increasing provision of cars and greater connectivity in the second part of the 20th century accelerated the decline of the remaining chapels, but their story of faithful perseverance and God’s goodness endures.
For over 150 years, one of NBC’s biggest commitments was church planting in the surrounding villages.
Origins
It’s unclear when exactly the decision was first made to church plant, but in an article published in The Baptist Magazine in 1813, a tribute to NBC’s late minister Rev John Perry mentions his commitment to “frequently visit the neighbouring villages…unwearied and unabated.”
In February 1815, meeting minutes record NBC deacon John Sargent being “led and it is hoped by providence to speak with acceptance several times in the villages from portions of scripture.”
Sargent’s preaching evidently proved successful, as by 1822 a cottage in Berries Bank, Greenham, occupied by Jacob Gore, had been licensed for preaching. The congregation quickly outgrew the space, and were generously gifted nearby land to build their own chapel.
On 13th June 1823 Berries Bank chapel was opened, with NBC minister Rev. Thomas Welsh preaching the opening sermon. The area was a popular spot for picnics and trips out of Newbury, with some either cycling or walking to enjoy the afternoon or evening services, which would be followed by tea, served outside on the Common during the summer.
By the time war broke out in 1939, Greenham Common air base had been established, splitting the district in two and causing a number of members to make detours of 2.5 miles to reach the chapel.
The war years saw very little activity or services, and despite significant repairs being made to the roof and chimney stack in 1948-49, the congregation dwindled. The chapel was eventually sold in 1957 for £200 and used as a store for surplus supply goods until its demolition in 1970.
Berries Bank
In 1813, a Mr Pocock began hosting services and a Sunday school in his home. In 1833 he donated a piece of land to build a chapel, which was opened on 2nd August.
While it is unclear whether Pocock was a member at NBC or what our church’s initial involvement was, it is recorded that Rev. Welsh preached at the opening service, and NBC provided much support in the following years.
After 60 years the chapel was too small and needed significant repairs, so the decision was made to build a new building, which opened in August 1894. A stone was laid by Mr Pocock’s son, George, who was a member at NBC for 62 years. In 1952 he was presented with a fountain pen in appreciation of his service to the Long Lane Chapel.
John Pocock represented the final generation from his family to commit to serving God at Long Lane. He persevered with declining numbers and advancing age, until the decision was made to close the chapel in 2003.
Long Lane, Hermitage
Information is scarce on the church plant in Newtown, which was a small chapel built in 1834. By the 1860s numbers were declining, and the chapel closed and was eventually sold in 1870.
Newtown
The origins of the Headley congregation are a fine example of God working through imperfect people. James Andrews had been told to stop preaching from the village pulpits due to a speech impediment. Unperturbed, he preached at his cottage, with so many gathering that a tent was erected on Headley Common.
When he left the district, NBC took over the work and having been gifted a piece of land by a church member, built a chapel which opened in 1838.
The congregation was stable, but by 1890 the building was found to be in danger of collapsing. A building fund was started, with the new chapel opening in 1925, despite the average attendance being recorded as just 36 people.
A short spike in attendance in the early 1950s was followed by steep decline, leading to its closure at the end of 1988 - in its 150th year. NBC maintained responsibility for the building, leasing it to various groups until it was sold in 2005 and converted into a village shop, which remains open to this day.
Headley
A small group gathered in the home of a Mrs Willoughby for 11 years, until money was collected to build a place of worship in 1866. At this point the Church was put into the trust of NBC, who regularly supplied preachers.
It was described as a happy fellowship which maintained close links with Long Lane. Indeed, it was the place where George Pocock gave his life to Jesus aged 16.
The congregation continued for almost a century, but with the building in significant decline owing to large cracks in the walls, it was closed in 1961 and sold for £250 in 1962.
Ashmore Green
Our most recent church plant was in 1980, when deacon Bob Cooper used his contacts with local building contractors to acquire land for a community centre. The land was donated and built by the contractors, who recognised the benefit a community space could be for the growing local population.
A large group from NBC committed to moving to the new church. In 1987, having relinquished responsibility, the church plant became Thatcham Baptist Church and a new building was built and opened on the site.
NBC sold the manse it had bought on Wheelers Green Way to the new church for the same amount it had bought it for several years earlier.
Today Thatcham Baptist Church is a thriving, vibrant congregation, with a reputation for its strong work within the local community.
Thatcham
Further Reading




An old postcard of Greenham Common shows the cottages of Bury's Bank, with Berries Bank chapel standing a little way to the left.



